From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:37:58 -0700
--- "Hoschette, Rosemary" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> We are in the process of entering data into Past Perfect.  There is
> discussion as to whether you keep the hard
> copy from which you are working and if you continue to keep hard copies
> in the future?  I have my ideas on this and wonder what other professionals
think?  Thank you.

I'd keep the hard copies and store them away from you site if possible. One
"total system failure" can completely erase everything and backups can get
corrupted or destroyed as well. A fire or flood can wipe out your paper records
hence storing them somewhere else. And you never know when the marine guards
outside your building will be distracted and let those pesky looters through.
;)

Another way to do it is once everything is in the system, print out a list and
compare it to your originals. If they are the same, then I think it's okay to
toss your originals as long as you have a schedule of when you print new lists
out. Make sure the lists are clearly marked with the date that they are printed
and do not throw away originals until they have been checked against the
printed lists.

Yes, I know this is a pain. I've been working with computer databases for over
10 years and I've seen grown men cry because they had a complete system failure
after they had tossed all their paper back-ups because "We've got the computer
now and don't need them."

Deb