From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:13:50 -0700
This concept that, if you don't charge, people won't
come, troubles me.

I learned to love museums when I was a kid because my
noncustodial father took me there as a cheap/free form
of recreation when I was young.  He didn't have the
money to shell out, and I was very happy with what I
learned/saw/felt for free.

I turned around and took my two to many museums when
my ex provided no child support and money was tight.
It was a good way to educate them, it was a good way
to teach them, and on hot days, it was a great way to
stay cool.

Now, I take the two grandkids to museums frequently
when they spend one day each weekend with Grandma.  We
don't go every week, but we go several times a year.

Where did I take my children and now my grandchildren?
 In many instances to the exact same museums my father
took me.  They instilled a form of loyalty.  I can pay
(and will) to a point, but if I'm taking more than one
and myself, paying for gas, parking, and food before
and after, it becomes an expensive day.

I think, if you hold the line on cost where possible,
you're apt to get a lot more visitors than if you
attach some artificial figure as if to connote worth.

The Norton Simon has some of the most beautiful
artworks.  My small contribution there can't begin to
pay for them and their upkeep.  But they are very
valuable to me because both of the grandchildren have
learned to love artwork by being able to attend when
we were looking for a way to entertain ourselves.
Where else can you tell the kids to keep their hands
in their pockets and actually get them to do it (lest
"the security man" will get them!--hey, whatever it
takes to keep them in line, right?).

=====
Indigo Nights