From:
Nan Prince <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 11:28:37 -0500
I used to work in a historic house in New Orleans that did have closets,
although they were not typically used.  Research had been done in the
past, and no evidence of closet taxes was found (at least in New
Orleans).  People simply did not use closets.  One reason is because in
humid climates, closets attact moisture and mildew, so clothing was kept
in wooden armoires which were better suited for textile storage.  Closet
taxes seem to be a popular myth that has been handed down through the
ages much like petticoat mirrors, but I think it is only a myth.

Nan Prince

--
Nan Prince, Registrar
Old Capitol Museum of Mississippi History