From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:15:43 +1200
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your free webzine and museum compendium read
weekly by 6,000+ readers in more than 107 countries .
***   Best Museum Professionals Site, Museums & the Web 2004   ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org and click on the NEWS button) in this
week's edition include:

**  Ancient Olympians, they cheated too
With the 2004 Summer Games set to begin in Athens on Aug. 13, archaeologists
and scholars are demythologizing and viewing the original Olympics as they
really happened

**  Mammoth Molar
The tooth was washed up on a stretch of beach between Cowden and Mappleton
after a storm and was discovered by a member of the public

**  Political Campaigns That Push All the Wrong Buttons
Buttons have been used in American politics at least as long as presidents
have been elected

**  British don in Thailand faces deportation call
A British academic faces calls for his deportation from Thailand after
dismissing one of the most coveted national treasures as a fake

**  Was legendary agent a victim of betrayal?
One of the Second World War's bravest secret agents was betrayed before she
was executed in a German concentration camp, a Westcountry spy radio
restorer claims

**  Amsterdam court sentences two men for stealing Van Gogh paintings
The men had pleaded innocent, claiming they were framed

Planning on Travelling? Business or Pleasure?
* GLOBAL MUSEUM TRAVEL - For Business and Pleasure - the  leading provider
of online museum travel, established in 1998.
40,000 in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Discounts up to 65% off. Rooms for
sold-out dates. Group Reservations.
CLICK HERE      http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/trav204/index.htm
Airfares, Car Rentals, Accommodation, Destination Guides, Condo's and
Cruises!  Provider is a member of I.A.T.A.

**  Kooris grab museum art
Two British museums warned yesterday that international co-operation could
be at risk after Aboriginal artefacts were seized while on loan to an
exhibition in Melbourne

**  New City Museum Not Measuring Up
The newest museum in the nation's capital is turning out not to be the draw
officials had hoped for

**  Bringing the world of the ancients to America
"Just as Petra was a centre of global commerce in ancient times, we are
bridging divides in our global society through this exhibition."

**  Travellers' morning stop causes concern
Horrified staff at Yarmouth's new £4.7m Time and Tide Museum arrived at work
to find travellers camped on the car park

**  Frying tonight - if we can find an old range
A museum dedicated to preserving Britain's industrial past has launched a
hunt for an antique frying range - to cope with its visitors' overwhelming
appetite for fish and chips

**  'Frozen Ark' aims to preserve endangered species
Scientists are to create a "Frozen Ark" of preserved DNA from endangered
animals with the eventual hope of resurrecting species extinct in the future
though cloning

**  Visit to National Museum leaves you high & dry
Just then a man appears with a duster and just flicks it over the sculpture
without bothering about the rest of it

**  Smuggled spider settles into new home
It's a big change from a film canister to deluxe accommodation at the
Melbourne Museum, but the venue's latest acquisition has taken the move in
its eight-legged stride

**  While Awaiting the Return of the Aksum Obelisk
The item of loot in question this week is the Ethiopian aeroplane Tsehai,
named by Emperor Haile Sellassie' after his beloved daughter Princess Tsehai

**  The whole world in our hands
For many, the icon of the British Museum is the Rosetta Stone, that
administrative by-product of the Greek imperial adventure in Africa

**  Chinese settler led remarkable life
One hundred and sixty-two years after a Chinese man jumped ship in Nelson,
his story is still being told by his descendants and researchers at the
Nelson Provincial Museum

**  John Glenn Installed In Smithsonian
There are currently no plans to decorate Glenn for the holidays, during
which time the museum is considering allowing him to visit family, as part
of a special touring exhibit

**  Sikhs Celebrated in Smithsonian Exhibition
When the museum began working on its Sikh Heritage Project, an inventory
found not a single Sikh-related item

**  Feature Site: U-505 QuickTime VR Tour
The U-505 is a German World War II Type-IXc Unterseeboot (submarine) that
was captured in battle on the high seas by boarding parties from the USS
Guadalcanal task group 22.3

**  This Week's GLOBAL MUSEUM CAPTION CONTEST

**  Japanese Design Today: 100

**  Crown, Communication and the Colonial Post: Stamps and the Cultural
Heritage of the British Empire

**  The Case of the Baby-Faced Assassin

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their RESUMES,
FORUM, Cheap and reliable world TRAVEL, Museum Accredited Courses, Products
& Services, Classical Music store, and a Jazz Emporium.
http://www.globalmuseum.org    First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!

What our readers say:

**  Thanks for all the good work!  I read the Global News section each week,
and have my museum studies students do so as well
Web feedback survey

**  Thank you for this service. What did we do before this? I recommend this
site to students as part of their internship training with us
Web feedback survey  USA

**  I love global museum and appreciate the service.  It keeps me, a curator
in a small local museum, in touch with the international museum world
Web feedback survey   Australia