From:
"Robert B." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 02:07:50 +0100
Dear Chris,

It really depends what the item is made off. If it's a
robust inorganic material and the base is not painted,
you can try exposing it to xylene fumes. Try a small
test patch if the xylene does not leave a stain after
evaporation on both it should work.  You can also try
various paint removers in the same maner. Please read
the MSDS for xylene, and take the usual precautions.

Regards
Robert

--- Chris Goodlett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

---------------------------------
We have an item in the Museum that has been adhered to
its base with silicone.  We need to detach the item
from the base in order to read maker's information on
the bottom of the artifact.  We have already tried
monofilament line with no success.  Are there any
items that can help with the removal of the silicone?
Mineral spirit has been suggested to us.  Have any of
you used this, and, if so, was it successful?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Chris Goodlett
Curator of Collections
Kentucky Derby Museum

---------------------------------
 From ?will you?? to ?I do,? MSN Life Events is your
resource for Getting Married.
=========================================================Important
Subscriber Information:
The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
obtain detailed information about the listserv
commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
[log in to unmask] . The body of the message
should read "help" (without the quotes).
If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] .
The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L"
(without the quotes).

=====
Dr. Robert B. Faltermeier
8B Keong Saik Road