From:
Kim Terbush Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:45:09 -0400
As an institution whose sole purpose is to remember soldiers who gave thier
lives from the state of Virginia, we have collected items in the past could
be considered "booty" by those on the list.  For example, our collection
houses Japanese swords and Nazi items. These and similar items were brought
to the states when the rules may not have been so tough or enforced.

The "war booty" that we have received from recent skirmishes (as we call
them) ranges from posters - money - flags.  As we are preparing to add 8
names to our Memorial for the men who died from the State of Virginia, we
are also trying to organize welcome home rallies for these men. I may not
believe in the war or what is happening, but I do believe that the men who
are fighting are fighting for me.  I will accept items from them for my
collection which will tell their stories and how life was for them. I do not
need guns, ammo, and "artifacts" to tell their stories. I do need letters to
and from home, flyers that were posted in their area of deployment and flags
that were captured.

War booty does not necessarily reflect stolen goods. We have a collections
policy in place that prohibits us from accetping such items and if we have
any questions we look to the armed service for their guidance. Our mission
is to promote patriotism and preserve the memory of the Americans who died.

Kimberly Terbush Watson
Collections Manager
Virginia War Memorial
621 South Belvidere Street