From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:32:26 -0400
Dave,
Thank you for correcting my misspelling of Liechtenstein. As I stated, peace
is a way of life. To take one simple example, one can gently correct a
misspelling, or even overlook it if the misspelling does not interfere with
the core of the message, or one can make a snide remark. The first option
will be helpful and lead to more standardized communications. The second
option will not add or detract from the message, but will not serve as a
motivator for negative remark. The third option presents a temptation of
responding in-kind and potentially escalating the correspondence into an
unpleasant exchange. I don't know how you intended your comment about
Liechtenstein, but I choose to see it as a welcome corrective.

The simple point that I tried to make with the Liechtenstein example is that
without an army one is not going to be involved in any military
misadventure-that is a guarantee. Furthermore, all income to the government
also has the potential of being spent on productive needs of the society
such as healthcare, support of culture, infrastructure, old age pensions,
etc.

Is there a causal relationship between not having an army and living in
peace? In my view, yes-I have yet to hear of a people without an army that
went to war. Your statement that it is easy to live in peace when you are
small is not serious. Just think of Germany (size of Oregon) vs. the Soviet
Union and France, North Vietnam vs. France and the US, or Israel and its
neighbors. In fact, Israel is the world's smallest nuclear power. It's not
the size of the country, it's the attitude.

I agree with you that it makes no sense for Liechtenstein to have an army,
but I feel that about countries in general. I have no idea how Liechtenstein
fared in the World Wars. I do know that they did not lose 20 million dead in
WWII as the Soviets did, they did not have concentration camps on its
territory as in Poland, they were not murdered wholesale and they did not
murder wholesale. In short, Liechtenstein's civilians suffered less than
most neighbors with large armies, and they caused less suffering to others.

Cheers, --PeaceNick