From:
Flavia Perugini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:24:48 -0400
This is what we use for numbering most artifacts, made of ceramic, glass,
metal and other materials:
B-72 as a base coat (15% in Acetone solution will dry quickly); Pigma Micron
pens, 01 or 005, to write numbers; B-67 as a top coat (15% in mineral Spirit
or Stoddard Solvent).
The top coat will not affect the ink nor the base coat because of the
different solubilities.
The solutions should be stored in air tight glass jars, away from windows
and sources of heat.  Once the solvent has evaporated from the solution,
prepare a new one rather than adding more solvent.  Also, brushes should be
in good condition, clean and dry for an easier application.

Flavia Perugini, conservator
George Washington's Mount Vernon
P.O. Box 110
Mount Vernon, VA 22121