From:
Kevin MacLean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:11:56 -0700
Carol,

I am in contact with Medicine Hat's Cultural Assistant Timothy McShane re. the shared opportunities/ challenges offered by a new and or expanded cultural facility.  Our own facility, the Galt Museum and Archives, will be under construction this September with the intent to have an expanded facility completed and reopened by December 2005.

I believe that you have provided some support to Tim via your communication with him.  I wondered if you would be willing to share some of your knowledge/ experience, likewise, with the Galt as the challenge is extremely unique and finding other case studies can be difficult.

In addition to Tim, I am in contact with members of the Glenbow (who are currently undergoing a storage renovation) in addition to Siegfried Rempel of CCI.  I am very much, however, interested in the experience of the Canadian War Museum as your project demanded an offsite location - as will ours.

I have been informed in the past week that the project will demand a temporary offsite displacement of the collection for the period of one year.  The displacement will comprise approximately 17,000 objects of varying sensitivities (art, textiles) and sizes (furniture, agricultural implements, medical equipment).

In addition to securing an offsite location with acceptable environmental controls, I must locate a mover - for the large collection - in addition to forming a strategy relative to packing, inventory control, offsite housing of the collection and pest control.

I was interested to know if I had specific questions - eg. what packing cartons do you use - if you could spare the time to help me?

Thank you ever so much,

Kevin MacLean
Collections Technician