Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:08:35 -0500
David Haberstich's curious and lengthy defense of Mr. Small bypasses a
number of issues.

At best, Small did not exercise due diligence in regard to his
collecting activities. He ought to have been aware of both the
statutory and the ethical requirements.

(That he may have collected some or all of these objects before
accepting appointment to the SI does not obviate the fact that he
was/is a collector and should have seen the relationship between being
a collector and accepting appointment as the chief steward of the
largest collection in the US.)

Lawyers vet issues regarding legal conformance and obligation. I am
confident that Mr. Small has substantial experience working with
lawyers at Citicorp and elsewhere. I am sure his lawyers stipulated
their findings carefully. He is not a minor. He has his own obligation
to follow the law.

The AAM has a code of ethics, to which the SI subscribes. Most major
museums have specific personnel policies about employee collections,
conflict of interest issues, and criminal activity -- in terms of
proscribing specific activities and in terms of specifying the penalty
for violating policy in regard to same. How HR policy is applied, of
course, is variable; one-time incidents are of different weight than
egregious and recidivist behavior.

But certainly, as his supervisors, the regents must 'get into the act'
now. The fact that the situation was known and possibly ignored for a
few years is unfortunate. But overlooking questionable behavior 'at the
top' is not, unfortunately, unusual, especially in government circles.
What is unusual here is that this incident was reported in the
Washington Post.

And despite Small's elevated position, receiving stolen property is not
defensible by claiming ignorance, or punishable by public embarrassment.

Lastly, I hope David is being facetious with his question about
culpability of the native artist who made the artwork. I will venture
that the artist is probably unaware that his/her work is being
discussed in the Washington Post or that someone paid an amazing
fortune to acquire it.

-L. Dewey