From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 12:01:31 EDT
Let's not mischaracterize or demonize anyone in this conversation. OK?

People collect stuff - no matter if they are soldiers or curators or some kid
picking up arrowheads in a field. And people sell stuff - whether it is in a
village in the Middle East or in Sotheby's.

The real issue is how a museum or historic site defines it's collecting
ethics and parameters. As many have rightly pointed out, the military now has
strict regulations on the collecting of war "booty" and any institution who
knowingly crosses that line would certainly be liable if found out.

Since collecting is an activity that defines us as human beings and, however
unfortunately, war and the necessity of having soldiers defines us too, I see
no reason whatsoever to examine those facts in any museum exhibit. This is
just as valid as an exhibition of objects left at the Vietnam War Memorial or the
Fashions of the First Ladies.

The situation is Iraq is unfortunate and is daily becoming more of a deadly
mess. I personally do not blame or impugn any of the brave Americans who
volunteer and put themselves in harm's way. If you complain about anyone complain
about the politicians and leaders who placed us there with a nonfactual
rationale, had a "fantasy" plan on the postwar period, and who have viciously attacked
any critics who have exercised their First Amendment Rights on the topic.
But, to also be fair, we have improved the public utilities in some areas, built
some schools, and provided a steady flow of food, and deposed Sadaam and his
Bathist brethren.

I walked out on the Santa Monica Pier a couple of weeks ago and saw something
as powerful as any art work or exhibition that I have ever encountered. On
the beach adjacent to the pier the Veterans for Peace have erected a mock
cemetery - with white crosses perfectly and symmetrically laid out in the sand
representing each American who has been killed in Iraq - with a board along the
front listing each name. A powerful and symbolic reminder of the true cost of
this war (and any war for that matter).

So has it been worth it?

Dave Harvey