From:
David Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:53:03 -0500
Dear Colleagues,
I think it helps to explain to a visitor why we are asking them not to
touch.  We have used the following in our quilt gallery with great success:

PRESERVATION IS THE KEY!
THAT IS WHY WE ASK YOU TO
PLEASE NOT TOUCH.

Textiles are some of the most fragile artifacts a museum can exhibit.  In
addition to the physical wear from touching, lotions and the natural oils
from your skin stay on the fibers, attracting dirt and eventually damaging
the fabric permanently.  A museum keeps collections not only for exhibit
purposes, but for preservation for future generations.  Please help us
preserve these objects by not touching them.  Thank you.

Sincerely,
Dave Ryan
Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum
www.cspm.org