Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 06:00:28 +0000
I have a question for those of you at smaller museums or historical societies.
I'm interested in hearing how people have dealt with the dilemma of having problems in maintaining and preserving newspaper collections (storage, cost, etc.) versus acquiring and archiving microfilm.
I am working at a small county historical society with such a problem.  We are dealing with a very large newspaper collection (500+ volumes) and we don't have the space, money, staff, etc.... The newspapers are all available in microfilm (and mostly in paper form) at many other locations in the area and throughout the state.

How did your museum address the problem?  Did you use a cut-off date?  Luck in attracting resources for volunteers, money, space?  What was the public reaction, if any?

Thanks for any responses

Melissa de Bie