Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 12:17:37 -0500
Date:    Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:22:12 -0000
From:    Dan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Computers and Exhibit Evaluation

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman"
size=3>We're hoping to install computer kiosks in some of our galleries
that
will provide expanded exhibit content.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">
&nbsp;
</SPAN>It seems to me that the computers could be used to gather
information
related to exhibit use as well.</FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><?xml:namespace prefix = o
ns
= "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p><FONT face="Times New
Roman" size=3>&nbsp;</FONT></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman"
size=3>Has anyone ever used computer terminals located in the exhibit
galleries to provide instant access for visitors to exhibit evaluation
tools?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Tools like surveys
about
use of the exhibit (what visitors liked or didn't like) or ways to learn
what they've learned (did we meet our learning objectives)?<SPAN
style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I'm talking mostly about summative
evaluation, but I could see uses for formative evaluations as
well.</FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p><FONT face="Times New
Roman" size=3>&nbsp;</FONT></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman"
size=3>If computers in the galleries have been used in this fashion, how
did
you herd visitors to the evaluation?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;
</SPAN>What incentives were offered to get visitors to spend a few minutes
doing the survey?</FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p><FONT face="Times New
Roman" size=3>&nbsp;</FONT></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman"
size=3>Have the Visitor Studies Association folks written anything on this
topic?</FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p><FONT face="Times New
Roman" size=3>&nbsp;</FONT></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman"
size=3>Thanks in advance,</FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p><FONT face="Times New
Roman" size=3>&nbsp;</FONT></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman"
size=3>Dan</FONT><BR>--<BR>Dan Bartlett<BR>Exhibits Manager<BR>Midway
Village and Museum Center<BR>6799 Guilford Rd.<BR>Rockford, IL
61107<BR>(815) 397-9112<BR><BR></P><BR />
<BR
/>
________________________________________________<BR />
Message sent using
iwebwerks WebMail<BR />
Dan,
I use computer kiosks to deliver visitor surveys at museums (Science& Tech,
Aviation, Agriculture, in Ottawa Canada). It's more for general visit
evaluation than for a particular exhibit, but my experience may be of some
help. The National Gallery in Ottawa did use a kiosk for temporary exhibit
evaluation, IIRC--you might try contacting them. The Museum of Civilisation
uses the same kiosk system (SurveyWorks), so we are able to share data.
The kiosks don't save a lot of money, mostly just data-entry and printing
costs. They do provide other benefits though: more frank ratings, no coding
and data-entry error, accurate capture of visitors' own wording, real-time
results, etc. You do need good software and supplier support, since they
are computers after all (even our Mac kiosks sometimes don't 'just work').
If you plan to do a lot of surveys, you'll need a good question editor
module.
Security is a concern. If you think the public can be rough on exhibit
computers, just wait until the staff learns that a computer is asking
questions about their work. You'll find power plugs pulled out, staff
shills submitting phony data during closed hours, phone lines cut, even the
entire unit mysteriously moving about the museum.
As you probably know, the weak spot is in the sampling. You can't just let
visitors self-select--you'll need a systematic or random sample to make the
results representative, or it's a computer comment card, not a survey.
There are tricks with admission desks and bar-code scanners, but the
simplest is to still use a human to select and persuade visitors to do the
survey. Incentives can be museum passes, store coupons, chances to win an
MP3 player, etc.
In the past, I have used computer quizzes to help visitors assess their
learning/attitudes. It can work, but takes some stick-to-ativity. You're
right--formative evaluation probably presents some opportunities.
As always, consider the personal information/privacy aspects.

Doug Hoy
Director, Evaluation & Research
Canada Science and Technology Museums Corp.