Date:
Sun, 16 May 2004 18:15:12 -0400
Margaret Bullock
Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts
Dear Margaret:
     I am researching an etching done by F. W. Freer.  I acquired your name from our local library and on the askart.com web page under the Artist Bulletin Board dated 6/7/2001.  You mentioned you had an extensive biography on Frederick Freer and a list of his known works.
     First of all, do you know if F.W. Freer is the same person as Frederick Warren Freer?
     I am wanting information on an etching done by F.W. Freer that is a replica of the oil painting by Jennie Augusta Brownscombe (American, 1850-1936) Love's Young Dream 1887, oil on canvas, 21 1/4 by 32 1/8, gift of Wallace and Wilhelmina Holladay,which is in the Permanent Collection of the National Museum of Women in the Arts, Washington, D.C.
     Would you know where the original etching by F.W. Freer is and how many of the etchings were made?  A local curator said Freer would have had to have contracted with the artist, Brownscombe, to copy her painting as an etching.
     Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.  If you don't have the information, would you know of any resources that I can contact to further my research?
     Thank you!!
     Carolyn