From:
Amy West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:57:35 -0500
I am working my way through a backlog of e-mail, so I have not seen either
the original inquiry or the other replies.

There is the Ballad Institute Museum of Puppets (BIMP) at the University of
Connecticut in Storrs, CT. It has it's own separate building and mounts
changing exhibits. I believe the core of its collection is Frank Ballard's
bequest to them. There should be contact info somewhere on the UConn Web
site/directory.

And frankly, with this, the William Benton Museum of Art, the Ct. State
Museum of Natural History, *and* the Dodd Archives, I am wondering why the
heck UConn doesn't have a Museum Studies program....

---Amy West

At 12:02 AM 11/7/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Date:    Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:56:51 -0800
>From:    Kristina Kiper <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: puppet collections
>
>Hello Tessa,
>I worked with the Pittsburgh Children's Museum on
>their fabulous puppet collection while in grad school.
>I researched the puppets including rod and shadow
>puppets of Indonesia. The PCM is most well known for
>the Mr. Roger's Puppets which will have a larger
>permanent home once the new addition and renovation of
>the old planetarium is completed I believe next year
>(2004). Also the 2nd Floor gallery has the Jim Henson
>studio which is very neat, it's a hands-on theatre
>with cameras and tv so kids can perform and see what
>the audience sees.
>
>If you have specific questions, I can try to answer
>them from my work and research. I could also give you
>contact info for some other puppet professionals who
>might be able to help.
>
>Just so you know, I was working mostly with
>photographs of the objects rather than the objects
>themselves, but I was asked to access the collections
>to bring the "puppets to life" a couple of times for
>classes and visitors. I have also, as a younger
>person, built and performed a variety of puppets, so I
>had a pretty good basis of understanding before
>beginning this project. Feel free to contact me by
>email if you think I could be of assistance.
>
>The Pittsburgh Children's Museum can be found at:
>
>pittsburghkids.org
>
>Thanks,
>Kris Kiper

---Amy

Look, I have ONE job on this lousy ship. It's STUPID, but I'm gonna do it,
OKAY?
- Gwen DeMarco in _Galaxy Quest_