From:
"Scott D. Peters" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 23:07:19 -0400
Jim,

The State of New Jersey generally does a rather good job taking care of its
historic properties. It's just a situation where there is not as much money
dedicated to the historic sites division of the DEP as everyone would like.
There have also been some questionable personnel moves within DEP and
Historic Sites that has muddled some things a bit.

As for Batsto, it's been one of Historic Sites' biggest headaches for many
years. What began in the early 1990s as poor site management by the state
blossomed into full scale war with the long-standing friends group. A
thoroughly botched reinterpretation plan implementation sparked a bitter
feud between the State and the friends group that ended up with both sides
suing each other. When I was interim director of the friends group licensed
by the State to operate another major State historic site, I was contacted
by the attorney representing the Batsto friends group. He wanted information
on our license so they could apply for a similar one for Batsto. I was told
by both the park superintendent at our site as well as by two higher-ups in
Historic Sites and the DEP to get rid of the lawyer's letter, forget I ever
saw it and never communicate with anyone claiming to represent the friends
group.
Although I have never visited Batsto, I have heard plenty from people who
did visit, mostly about state staff who couldn't be bothered acknowledging
the public's presence and management with an attitude.
Further, I once was interviewed for a number of positions within Historic
Sites at the site management level. I was one of the highest ranked
applicants on the certification list being used to fill those vacancies. My
experience including running the interpretation and education programs at
one of the State's largest historic sites as well as serving for almost a
year as director of that site. I had, by far, the most experience on many
levels than all but one of the other candidates. I was hired for NONE of the
four positions available. What's more, the kid who was hired for Batsto was
not yet a college graduate and had no experience in the field except for a
few years spent as a volunteer at Batsto. One of the people making the
hiring decision that day was the Batsto's former site manager, and had only
recently been kicked upstairs to an admin job with Historic Sites.
So much for experience, education and ability.

Until the State gets its act together and extends an olive branch to the
friends group, Batsto will always remain an asterisk within the Historic
Sites division.

Scott D. Peters
"Will do history for food..."
Historically Speaking
ALHFAM -FPIPN vice-chair for trivia, errata and miscellany

"The ordinary distinctions in society are often vague, and imply no just
pre-eminence: rank and titles are
adventitious things and instead of designating merit or virtue, are
frequently the baubles of imbecility, or
the sparkling decorations of meretricious pageantry"

William Griffith, on behalf, and by order of the New-Jersey Society for
promoting the gradual Abolition
of Slavery, Twelfth Month (December) 20th, 1803