From:
Ellen Carrlee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 09:19:17 -0800
Hi Steven,
I curate the collections and exhibits of a small local museum with a
collection of perhaps 6,000 items...mainly historical, archival, and fine
art.  We also have an "Education Collection," "Reference Collection,"
"Exhibit Prop Collection," "Fragment File" etc.  None of the items in these
for-use groupings are formally accessioned.  The museum does not have donor
files for these items, nor entries in the database.  Each item has a small
tag or label mentioning the source, if known.  But we are not committed in a
public trust sense to provide special care in perpetuity for these items.
We do not use gloves with them, we do not store them in archival housings,
and they can be "consumed." They are not treated like accessioned objects,
and therefore if they began their museum lives as accessioned objects they
become deaccessioned in order to serve these other functions.

I hope that is a helpful response to your query.
Best wishes,
Ellen Carrlee
Curator of Collections and Exhibits
Juneau-Douglas City Museum