From:
Wayne Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:49:47 -0500
Historical Society Executive Director

Build your reputation and join the current renaissance of the Franklin County Historical Society. After a vacancy of several years, the position of Executive Director will be filled on a half-time basis. The Society operates numerous programs including a house museum and Country Store; active educational programs for school children, museum visitors, and (in our role as County Historian) municipal historians; publications including books, the annual Review, web site, and interpretive pamphlets; a public lecture (summer) series; and a research library with reference services and genealogy consultations.

Located in the Adirondack foothills an hour south of Montreal, Malone offers some of the finest outdoor recreational opportunities anywhere. The safe, family centered communities where farming still predominates date from the early 1800’s and are rich in history and people interested in exploring our past. Our role in the emergence of heritage tourism as a regional economic force continues to evolve. We need an energetic leader to implement our recently completed Strategic Plan and guide the efforts of 60 volunteers and 300 members as we continue the reinvigoration our membership organization.

A graduate degree in Public History, Museum Studies or a closely related field, or, an equivalent combination of education and work experience is required. Experience in any of the following areas will strengthen your application: public relations, grant writing and fundraising, program development and operation, Board development, government relations, local history, financial and personnel management, exhibits, genealogy, museum operations. The Director will be expected to continue career development through professional involvements including conferences, workshops and coursework. We offer a solid opportunity to grow our organization while you build your work experience and career potential. You will be involved in every aspect of running a historical society and museum with the help of a dedicated group of volunteers trained in all aspects of the operation, as well as a supportive community. We offer a compensation package worth a minimum of $15K to begin in the position on a half time basis. In addition, we offer flexible scheduling, the opportunity to grow with the organization and become an esteemed member of our safe and cordial community, or support for translating your enhanced job skills and experience into upward mobility. Full job description available upon request.

Apply to: Search Committee, Franklin County Historical and Museum Society, P.O. Box 388, Malone, NY 12953. Review of applications will begin January 28, 2004. Deadline for applications is February 25th.

For more information including a job description, please contact me off-list: miller AT northnet.org (this uses the format [log in to unmask] as has been recently discussed on this list)

Wayne Miller, President