From:
"Simmons, John E" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:09:18 -0500
Dr. Edward Alexander, the author of several important books about museums
(including my favorite, "Museums in Motion") has died at age 96. Alexander's
intellectual and professional contributions to museums and museum studies
are enormous.  "Museums in Motion" has been in print since 1979.  The
obituary below appeared in our local newspaper (the Lawrence Journal-World)
because Alexander's son, Dr. John Alexander, is a professor of history at
the University of Kansas.

I got to meet Edward Alexander when I was a museum studies student at KU.
Although he was in town to visit his son, he graciously took the time to
come speak to Dr. Don McCoy's "Introduction to Historical Administration and
Museum Studies" class.  He entertained us with a fascinating lecture on
museums (without using any notes!) and then answered our questions.  He was
an engaging and stimulating teacher.  I asked him to sign my copy of
"Museums in Motion" (our course textbook), which seemed to amuse him quite a
bit.  Had I known I would get to meet him, I would have purchased a new copy
so I didn't have to hold my thumb over the "USED" stamp while he signed.

--John Simmons

Edward Porter Alexander
Friday, August 8, 2003

Williamsburg, Va. - Inurnment for Edward Porter Alexander, 96, Chevy Chase,
Md., will be in Williamsburg, Va.

Mr. Alexander died Thursday, July 31, 2003, at Manor Care Rehabilitation
Center in Chevy Chase.

Mr. Alexander was born Jan. 11, 1907, in Keokuk, Iowa, the son of Walter
Sheron Alexander and Anna Moody Carter. He graduated from Drake University,
earned a master's degree in history from the University of Iowa and a
doctorate in history from Columbia University.

Mr. Alexander was director of New York State Historical Assn. from 1934 to
1941, director of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin from 1941 to
1946, director of interpretation and vice president of Colonial Williamsburg
from 1946 to 1972 and founder and professor of museum studies at the
University of Delaware from 1972 to 1978.

His honors include Phi Beta Kappa, Katherine Coffey Award from Northeast
Museums Conference, Award of Distinction from American Association for State
and Local History, Distinguished Service Award from American Association of
Museums and Medal of Distinction from University of Delaware. He was a
founding member of the American Association for State and Local History and
president of the American Association of Museums from 1956 to 1960.

He married Alice Wagner Bolton in 1929. She died in 1999.