From:
Stacey Swigart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:38:05 -0400
Dear Kim:

GIFTS for KIDS!:

Mr. Potato Head  (started in mid 1940's and early 50's as Mr. Potato Head
pieces that you could attach to any kind of fruit or vegetable)
Barbie (debuted 1959, so may be a little late!)
Matchbox cars (1953)
Frisbees (post WWII...the Wham-O "Pluto Platter" Frisbee was introduced in
1958)
Hula-Hoop (1958)
Slinky (introduced in 1946, but popular through the 50s-60s)
Howdy Doody paraphenalia (marionettes, TV puppet theatre, wrist watches,
Zippy the Chimp, etc.)
Robert the Robot (1954)
Cooties (1949)
Davy Crockett coonskin cap (TV show debuted in 1954)
Marx Farm Set (plastic farm animals, fences, etc.)
Mickey Mouse ears (Mouseketeer stuff from the Mickey Mouse Club)
Tonka Toys (1949)
Lincoln Logs (debuted late 40s, popular throughout 50s)
Tinker Toys (colored sticks and parts debuted in the 50s)
Roy Rogers "stuff" (cap gun, puzzles, etc.)
Rin Tin Tin "stuff" (games, coloring books, etc.)
ViewMaster (early 50s began having scenes from movies on a reel)
Whee-Lo (late 1950s)
Clue (mid-late 50s)
Lone Ranger toys (show ran 1949-1957)
Yo-Yo, Silly Putty and Play-Doh

This list is a little long, but would give you a variety of things to look
for.  These are rated as some of the top "boomer toys" of the 50s. If you
need additional info on any of them, let me know.

Regards,
Stacey

Stacey A. Swigart
Curator of Collections
Please Touch Museum
210 N. 21st Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
215-963-0667 x3143
215-963-0424 FAX

*************************
From:    "Kimberly Kenney, Curator" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: 1950s Christmas gifts!

Hi all,

I am planning a 1950s exhibition for Christmastime
this year (called "Jingle Bell Rock:  a 1950s
Holiday"), and our theme is going to be things that
would have been given or recieved as Christmas gifts.

I am grouping them into categories by family member,
like "Gifts for Dad," "Gifts for Teens," etc.

So I want to pick your brains about CLASSIC 1950s
objects that we absolutely MUST include.

We will be soliciting museum members, the community,
and other local museums for loan items to augment our
collection.  I would like to provide a "wish list" of
what we're looking for.

Thank you!
Kim Kenney

=====
Kimberly A. Kenney, Curator
McKinley Museum
800 McKinley Monument Dr. NW
Canton OH 44708 * 330-455-7043
"Let us ever remember that our interests are in concord, not conflict; and
that our real eminence rests in the victories of peace, not those of
ar."  --25th United States President William McKinley