From:
Anna Fariello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:43:59 -0500
David, You raise an interesting point.  This is a problem in
university museums in particular where, in my case anyway, the
director answered to a dean who had little understanding or
appreciation for museum practice.  The particular place where I
worked (and left) wound up shooting itself in the foot.  With the
support of half the art department (well trained in art history and
studio practice but with little to no understanding of museums except
for having exhibited in some), created an unworkable organizational
structure that cost the institution its bid for AAM accreditation.
What continues to amaze me is that individuals, especially those
educated in related fields, think they've created/decided what's best
for THEIR institution based on a very limited personal experience.
Often they make these decisions while ignoring an entire body of
knowledge that has evolved from decades of theory, practice,
evaluation, and careful decision making.  With the "help" of the dean
(in this case, a person who functioned like the corporate CEO of a
major museum who has authority over staff with museum training or
experience), this particular university gallery lost its full-time
director, its university-wide application, much of its funding, AND
an opportunity to become one of the few AAM accredited university
museums in the state.  All this was done in the name of local
control, "local" being the art department.  While I am not there to
confirm this, I think they are proud of their "accomplishment."
Anna Fariello

--
Anna Fariello, Curatorial InSight, Box 505, Christiansburg VA 24068
www.curatorialinsight.com;  540-382-3946;  [log in to unmask]