ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
P Boylan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 16:37:55 +0100
I agree very much with Giovanni. When I originally raised this question I
wasn't thinking about excluding genuine professionals who cannot afford
to join ICOM (as Per seemed to think). I just wanted to warn colleagues
that without realising it they might find themselves serving as
accomplices in what is now estimated a multi-billion dollar trade in human
beings - the trafficking in human beings - quite apart from risking
criminal penalties in their own country through helping (without realising
it) in visa and immigration fraud.

In the case of ICTOP's forthcoming conference in Slovenia I was actually
asked to provide documentation for "a group" - no details - not for entry
to Slovenia, but for visas for Britain.  (It was claimed that as there is
no Slovenian Embassy in Nigeria, they needed to get immigration clearance
into London, so that they could then visit Slovenia's London Embassy to
apply for visas to attend ICTOP!)  I am not a gambling man, but I will
happily risk half my savings on a bet that if they had got British visas
with my help, the chances of them continuing to Slovenia to attend the
ICTOP meeting would have been several hundreds to one...

Patrick Boylan