From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:42:32 -0700
--- "Gibson, Cecelia" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> "Babies must remain in strollers, if one is available.  If there is no
> stroller with the child please ask the parent or adult to hold on to the
> child's hand, and to make sure the child does not reach out and touch
> objects on display including the framed works on the wall".
>
> How have other institutions handled this issue?  Do you feel this is a
> reasonable request?

There was a huge stroller thread a while back. My personal problem with
strollers is not with the small ones but with the ones that are like mini-SUVs.
While I can appreciate the need for storage on a stroller especially on long
outings, museum galleries can have some tight quarters between display cases
and I think museums should provide smaller strollers for use in the galleries
if they have the funds. Exhibits that have strollers constantly knocked into
them are probably worse off than exhibits that have kids pawing at them from
time to time.

And on a related note, sometimes it's better to have the kid burn some energy
off by walking around instead of sitting in the stroller. Plus most exhibits
are not at stroller level so children will need to be picked up and held if
they want to see them.

As for the statement, I'd phrase it in a more positive way like:

For the safety of children so that they do not wander off, please ask parents
to hold their child's hand at all times. Also please remind parents to not let
children touch the exhibits.

Another solution to kids who want to touch everything is give them something to
hold like a children's guide to the exhibit.

Deb