From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:50:16 -0700
I'm just back from vacation and catching up with this fun thread...

In answer to some earlier emails, I though Chatty Cathy's were more
early '60s --my daughter had one. Also hula hoops.

Lincoln Logs were (are) perennial --I remember being envious of an
expensive large set received for Christmas in about 1944 by a boy I knew
-he was the only one I knew who got one. Perhaps they became cheaper by
the '50s.

Viewmaster...new reels came year after year as stocking stuffers and in
those days had pictures of all the wonderful places and peoples of the
world, (probably influenced my choice of profession?)

As others have mentioned the 45 rpm records were hugely popular, and
there were squarish carrying cases to take them on 'overnights' (along
with the baby doll pajamas). The single spindle 45 record players
mentioned previously often didn't have amplifier and speaker, but
plugged in to a table radio with a 'jack' which also meant they were
very portable. These items plus the curlers would make a great grouping
in a '50's exhibit.

Now my additions:
How about an American Flyer sled? Or a pair or skiis with the new spring
bindings that tightened with a clamp in front of the toe (great new
thing after using leather bindings that tightened with a side clamp) or
even the elite "French bindings" (long straps that wrapped around the
boot and ankle --they were seriously dangerous and lasted only a short
time). To go with that, one of the new nylon parkas (mine was lemon
yellow, a standout among the gray and navy ones and I still have it);
ski pants, waterproofed, with elastic strap under the foot and a sewn-in
front crease; and a rope tow clamp (also later abandoned as dangerous if
you somehow couldn't release it at the top of the hill).

Also, (for a teenage girl) cashmere sweaters (short sleeve pull-overs
and if you were really lucky a matching cardigan) with matching Bonnie
Doon angora socks (worn, of course, with those saddle shoes) and a calf
length straight skirt or knife pleated skirt).

Add to the pen list, the wonderful Esterbrook fountain pens (with little
lever on the side to suction in the ink) and bottles of Skrip ink in
colors -red and turquoise being popular (for girls) and the bulkier
Schaeffer pens with black or blue ink for dad or the boyfriend!

Lucy