From:
Jennifer Rothman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:04:56 -0400
I'm a big fan of knowing why I can or can't do something.  I think signs that tell us or staff that tells us this can do two things.  I think it keeps us from being a little cynical towards our visitors--we must be able to justify the rules we make. Its very easy to make unnecessary rules. I also think it provides a learning experience. For example, Why can't we use a flash?  What does it do to the artwork?  We may know, but our visitors might not.  It might give them more reason to follow the rule if they knew.

I certainly understand the need for this rule in the presence of precious artwork. However, I recently was doing some work in a science museum and visitors were not allowed to take pictures (not even without a flash).  I couldn't find out why...it seemed rather arbitrary to me.  Especially since taking pictures is a great way for families to enhance their visit, extend their memories and perhaps make a lasting connection to the museum.  I really wanted to know why that rule was there and nobody could tell me.  It made me a little angry that there was no justification. Which leads me to another point.  Make sure employees know why the rule is in place.  When I worked at an aquarium, we had a no flash rule in some areas and I always instructed my staff that if you have to tell people not to use their flash, they should give the reason as well.