From:
Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:39:50 -0600
You are correct--you would continue to own all copyright and property
rights to the image, prints and negatives.  Any repository of the object
that is the subject of the image would have a pretty tall order on it's
hands if it tried to limit your use of such a photograph.

Now, another sticky question to throw out to the group; if a museum
allows a researcher to photograph objects from its collection, what
right does the museum have to limit the use of those images?  The prints
and negatives are clearly the property of the researcher, and as the
photographer, the researcher has copyright over the images as well.  It
seems to me that the only point of control here is whether or not the
museum allows a researcher to photograph pieces from its collection.
Even if the researcher claims the photos are for their personal
reference and research, and has an agreement with the museum to that
effect, if those images are published, does the museum have any
recourse?

Copyright law is full of knotty questions like this--my understanding
is to get a clearer answer than "that's a good question" requires a
court decision in each individual case.

Cheers,

Tim McShane, Assistant--Cultural History
Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery
1302 Bomford Crescent S.W.
Medicine Hat, AB   T1A 5E6
(403) 502-8587

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/14/03 09:43AM >>>
    I've been curious about something - if I owned an object and then
sold it,
I suspect I have rights over the photos I took of it at the time of my
ownership.  Even if I sold or donated it to a museum with strict
policies on
the use of photographs of their property.  Any thoughts there?

     -Carol

Disclaimer: The information transmitted is intended only for the
addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged
material.  Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or
the taking of any action in reliance upon this information is
prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete or destroy this message and any copies.