From:
Max van Balgooy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:07:29 -0400
Two options I've heard for museums that are breaking into food service
in a small way:

Contracting with a local restaurant or caterer to provide food service
on the busiest days, either by renting space for a flat monthly fee or
on a commission of sales (this is the typical arrangement for
restaurants in large museums).  BUT the vendor may not feel you can
generate sufficient sales to justify the expenses (wages, food,
equipment, licensing, insurance), so you may be placed in the position
of having to pay a vendor to set up shop and guarantee a minimum (I've
been in that sad situation).  If you do go this route, be sure to insist
on a business license, a health certificate, and insurance--if a visitor
gets food poisoning you'll want to be protected.

Vending machines, although often derided, are getting more attractive
and diverse.  Here in Washington DC, we've become a test market for
McDonald's for several different types of vending machines and so far
they're getting acceptable results.  It is certainly easier to obtain a
machine with a commission on sales from the big drink vendors, and
they'll compete for your business (BUT be prepared to handle lost coins,
defective machines, vandalism, and energy costs).  Food vending machines
are harder to find, but I'd first talk with the drink vendors to see
what they recommend (who knows, they may have purchased a snack food
company).

Good luck!

Max A. van Balgooy
Director of Interpretation and Education
National Trust for Historic Preservation