From:
Christina Myatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:32:21 -0500
We also have had food problems.  We have signs that are posted and
security and staff have aproached people who have somehow made it past
the entrance desk with food and escorted them to a trash can to dispose
of their food items.

As for breastfeeding, we have had similar instances.  I would be
careful with saying "no breastfeeding allowed".  You may open yourself
up to problems you don't need.  There have been pro breastfeeding
groups who have staged protests (meaning they all go and sit and breast
feed their child in your facility) or you may alienate a whole class of
visitor.  With breastfeeding becoming more common, we must adapt.
Employers are required to allow mothers a place and time to
breastfeed.  While you may not want to see it in your exhibits, how
would you address these people?  Do you offer an alternative space
where mothers can breastfeed?  What specific reasons will you give them
for "banning" breastfeeding in the exhibits?

On the lighter side--our naturalist once said we should set up a
breastfeeding area as a live interp in our Hall of Mammals! ;-)

Christina
Christina M. Myatt
Theatrical Programming Coordinator
Putnam Museum