From:
Melissa Rosengard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 10:49:37 -0400
Gretchen,

Buckalew does have several spelling variations. One of them is Buckelew,
which is my maiden name. Although I'm not personally involved in genealogy
research of the name, I have family that have done extensive research, and
in fact, there is an annual conference (not a reunion...a conference) of
Buckelews (and I would imagine all the spelling variations) that occurs
each year or every other year somewhere in the US. There were some
publications specifically about the Buckelew genealogy some years ago
titled "Mary's People, Buckelew Traces," as well. I would be happy to
provide this information directly to you at your email address. Let me
know and I'll ask around my family for the information.

Also, the Scottish ancestry that you refer to comes from the "Scotts of
Buccleuch" -- as in Sir Walter Scott of Buccleuch, Duke of Buccleuch. It's
not a clan name (although it is attached to the Scott clan), it's a place
name (southern border w/England) and originally bestowed up a man who
legend has it killed a buck with his bare hands "buc" while hunting in
a "cleuch" which I understand is old geography term for a Scottish valley.
More trivia has it that the Duke of Buccleuch was the patron of Adam
Smith, and funded his writing of "The Wealth of Nations".  There is a book
entitled "Scotts of Buccleuch" published in the 1800s that goes into this
history. My father has a copy that we found traveling there in a dusty old
bookshop in Edinburgh.

Good luck,
Melissa Rosengard
Executive Director