From:
"Nancy S. Powell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:21:38 -0400
Jessica,

Yes, I would think a history museum would be very interested in the
collection of Civil War letters. Does the owner have any period photos of
the writer/soldier? If so, that would add another level of meaning to the
collection.

Either a California state, county or local history museum  in your area
might be a possible home for them. Or, if the writer or his/her family lived
in another state or area at the time of the war, a museum in that area might
be very glad to receive them. And there are a several Civil War museums in
the country.

For preservation, they can check the AIC website at http://aic.stanford.edu
, or the Northeast Document Conservation Center at www.nedcc.org has many
great technical leaflets that might help.

I'm sure there are other regional conservation centers and resources that