From:
Jim Lyons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 21:58:36 -0700
June 1, 2003

Here's a question for you that might help with your quest for a job:

What can you bring to the job that the average candidate can't?
Example: suppose a museum gets resumes from 100 people with master's
degrees (not impossible, as I understand it)?  The interviewer looks
down the list of candidates and sees

MA
MA
MA
MA
MA
MA
MA+x
MA
MA
MA
MA

What catches his eye?  The MA+x.  MA+x gets the job.  Why?  Because
MA+x has something in addition to bring to the job.  What does the
"x" represent?  It represents what the museum needs enough to hire
the "x" candidate.  It could be:

- a person who runs outreach programs or works with school students.
- a skilled conservation/restoration person.
- a person with writing skills willing to edit the museum's
newsletter and fill it with interesting and educational articles; or,
willing to work long hours filling out grant forms.
- a hundred other things that you will have to learn about.

And what, in my opinion, is at the very top of the list?  A person
who's good at fund raising.  If you're the type who can go up to the
deep pockets folks and sweet talk them into bankrolling your museum
for the coming term, holy cow, are you in demand!  But I didn't learn
that in school, you say.  I don't suppose you did.  It's something
you've got to try a few times to see if you have the touch.  (I've
tried it.  I don't have the touch.)

And for heaven's sakes, proofread your resume before you send it out!
This group is filled with messages that are replete with errors, both
spelling and grammatical.  Believe me, a lot of people won't hire
someone who has a lot of errors in their writings.  I know; I'm one
of them.  (To me, it spell carelessness and lack of interest in the
job.  Among other things.)  And remember, museum people who hire
people read this list.  Suppose they remember your lack of caring the
times you posted something to this list?  Not good.

-Jim

--
Jim Lyons
http://www.jimlyons.com