From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:16:07 -0400
I have similar signing discussions with our staff.

Signs do not, can not, and will not control visitor behavior and they can't
make up for shortfalls in other areas. For example, how many times have you
seen a worn path in a grassy area despite signs telling people to go
another way...those people found the best connection between two points and
the designers either missed it or ignored it.

Perhaps it's best to start by placing yourself in the shoes of the sign
reader (your audience) and ask how yourself what communication method would
be most effective.

As others pointed out--gallery attendents can be very effective. Signs
worded in a positive manner and that cover a range of behaviors are
alternative methods of reinforcing a message.

You might also ask yourself what percentage of visitors engage in the
undesired behavior and why. If you find out why, you're halfway to the
solution. Really, how many babies touch your paintings and how else might
you keep them from doing so.

Any parent will tell you that it is unrealistic to expect all kids to be
strapped down in a stroller with their hands neatly at their sides. We want
parents and kids at our museums. Let's find a friendly way to accommodate
our needs and their desires.

Diane Gutenkauf
Manager, Interpretation and Exhibits
The Morton Arboretum