From:
Lana Newhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 08:39:48 -0500
Call around to your local truck rental places.  We call Ryder (they are the only ones who rent refridgerated box trucks).  Determine the size of truck you will need (20ft should do you).  Explain your problem, and ask if they can help out with eliminating say the mileage fee or something.  The guy we use has always worked with us.  He brings the truck out (you will need a CDL certificate if you drive it), shows us how to operate the refridgeration unit, then he comes back in a week to pick the truck up.

We pay the rental fee ($250 for a week usually, although he waived that fee once) and the fuel to run the unit.  Obviously if you do this in the winter you will save money as the unit will not have to run as often as say in the middle of July.  I always budget $1,000 for this kind of project.  I usually spend anywhere from $300 (January 1999) and $800 (August 1997)

You will find that renting a truck will probably be cheaper than tenting and fumigating.  Also, you won't have all those yucky chemicals stinking the horse up.  Prepare the horse by covering him in something water proof (although if you freeze him properly you shouldn't have condensation) but loose enough that moisture will not be trapped under the waterproof material.

Lana Newhart-Kellen
Registrar
Conner Prairie

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/03/03 08:12PM >>>
Our museum has a life-sized paper-mache horse that needs to be treated for pests prior to being placed in storage.  Is there anyway to do this in-house since we don't have local access to a huge freezer?

Thanks for your help,

Rickie Good
Sumter County Museum