From:
Ellen Carrlee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:13:50 -0800
Sonya, you may consider trying a product known as a Soot sponge, made of
natural vulcanized rubber.  They are often sold in hardware stores under the
brand name Gonzo, and also marketed as a pet-hair remover.  These sponges
can be cut into small cubes with a scissors and gently pulled over the
surface of the basket.  A sponge costs around $5, and the surface of the
sponge can be cut back and discarded as it becomes soiled.  Try this method
in a small area of a sturdy basket and see if you are finding a reduction in
the sooty deposit.  Thank you for NOT considering a wet treatment at this
juncture!  Remember that soot is greasy by nature...if the soot sponges do
not help, let me know or talk to another conservator for further advice.
Good luck!

Ellen Carrlee