From:
Timothy Wade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:23:14 EST
I did my internship at the Musuem of Florida history, and as I stated
offline to someone that asked me, I couldn't find the once-a-decade rule
anywhere, but I did find this:

(1)  Notwithstanding s. 273.02, the division shall maintain an adequate
record of all objects in its custody which have a historical or
archaeological value. Once each year, on July 1 or as soon thereafter as
practicable, the division shall take a complete inventory of all such
objects in its custody the value or cost of which is $500 or more and a
sample inventory of such objects the value or cost of which is less than
$500. Each inventory shall be compared with the property record, and all
discrepancies shall be traced and reconciled. Objects of historical or
archaeological value are not required to be identified by marking or
other physical alteration of the objects.

(http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Searc
h_String=&URL=Ch0267/SEC115.HTM&Title=->2002->Ch0267->Section%20115 )

I think that perhaps it was a state-wide mandate to see what the state
owns, not specifically for the museum.

Timothy Wade