From:
Julie Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 17:36:42 -0500
I had a great internship...I was with the Getty Center for Art History
waaaaaaay back in 1984 and I worked in the photo archives, antiquities
division.  I got a decent stipend and learned a lot about what it was like
to work with other professionals as one of them.  Yes, it was a lot of busy
work and data entry, but I could definitely see the positive results of what
I had done.  It's completely unrelated task-wise to what I'm doing now, but
it socialized me to the working world and for that it was absolutely
invaluable.  I also think the Getty name opened doors to my first museum job
(at least it got me an interview, and I took it from there), and from there
I was able to go on using my own merits and skills.

Now that I supervise interns, I think a good experience for an intern
results in a tangible project that is "theirs," and builds relationships for
the future.  I have provided references for past interns that have gotten
them their first jobs, but I think the most valuable thing for the intern is
the experience of being in the real world of museums, working with
professionals.  And that "internships from hell", unless you are working for
someone along the lines of the boss in "The Devil Wears Prada", always have
something valuable to teach, even if it's that one has to pay one's dues at
some point, and better sooner than later.

Julia Muney Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center
820 E. 67th St.
Indianapolis, IN  46220
(317) 255-2464 x233