From:
Elizabeth Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 08:47:36 -0400
Indigo,

That's how we were able to do it.  Because we have a non-profit
foundation, we could write a grant proposal to cover all kinds of
expenses the school might incur - buses, drivers, subs, etc. for a visit
to the museum. Teachers have a harder time accessing the administrative
structure that you need for a grant so we are the funnel for the funds
from the funding group to the teachers.

We too had found that bus expense was a barrier to visits as was the sub
money.  Through our program, the teachers can apply for money to cover
whatever their needs might be since those differ from school to school
depending on their resources.  The teachers decide what their most
pressing need is and apply to us for the funds.  Some schools will
provide the bus but the students don't have money for admission so they
use the funds for admission money.  Some schools can't provide any trip
support and those teachers need more help than others.

In our grant proposal we used an average cost of expenses for a class
visit of $150 (bus, admission, etc. based on our experience with the
teachers) and asked for funding to support 100 class (class = 1 teacher,
25 kids, 2-5 adult chaperones) visits.  Teachers can apply for more than
the $150 if they need to (and some do) but we find that many teachers
use less so it averages out just fine.

In order to make our proposal a stronger sell and more relevant to the
teacher's needs, we tie the programs directly to the state "standards of
learning" that the kids are tested on and the schools are accredited
with.  The teachers tell our educator which SOLs they need help
addressing and programs are selected and altered to fit their needs.  We
will be doing classroom pre- and post-visit mini-tests to determine if
our programs were effective and if the kids actually retain any
knowledge that will help them on their SOL tests.  Fortunately, the SOLs
are fairly broad and include the basics so our programming can include
all kinds of content depending on what exhibits we have in-house at the
time.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Moore, PhD
Virginia Museum of Natural History