From:
lorettalorance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:07:34 -0400
I realize this discussion is winding down but I am curious why few people
mentioned the cultural conflict involved in public breast-feeding and no one
mentioned perversity. Some breast-feeding mothers feel entitled to pull out
a milk-engorged breast anywhere, anytime and then put the swollen nipple in
their infant's mouth with any number of people watching. While it might be
relieving for the child and mother, it might also be sexually exciting to
someone else, even a child molester who finds the child's milk-smeared mouth
erotic. Am I being disgusting? Probably, but life in NYC has taught me
innocence is less common than perversion.

For example, when I worked at the Metropolitan Museum of Art most female
employees were warned by the guards to be careful when sitting on the front
steps in a dress or skirt. Why? Because some of those guys standing at the
bottom of the stairs, nicely or casually dressed, looking up as if they are
waiting for someone are really looking up the women's clothing who are
careless enough to provide a view. The Met can't do anything because they
are on the sidewalk and not "hurting" or "threatening" anyone. This may have
changed with Giuliani. I could offer more stories about city encounters, if
you like, especially about adult men and children on the subway or in the
park playground.

So, public breast-feeders, the next time someone is fidgeting while your
child is happily sucking on your nipple, the reason may not be a
conservative or up-tight personality. It might be that in the U.S., a breast
is a very sexual object and the disturbance the person feels may not have
anything to do with disgust. It would be nice if this were not a concern, in
the present day, however, it is.