From:
Derek Monz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:51:48 +1000
Hello all,

This discussion of museums and their role is for me a very important one. I
am inthe middleof lookign at the role of museums in the early 20th century
in what used to be called the colonies and dominions of the British Empire.

This project has looked at what museums are and what role they play in
society. Especially when dealing with indigenous people. Museums to me
should represent history not a specific people or group point of view. This
measn neither the "dominant" nor the "dominated" if you use words found in
the "new museology theory" base.

I think that socieities which do not or did not form museums are just as
advanced or developed or whatever term youchoose as any other. Just because
the term museum as we know it came into use a few hundred years ago does not
mean that the concepts are known only form then. Look at your plato, livy ,
tacitus or other ancient authors and you will find the expressions of
preserving cutlural items the same as we do now. YOu do not even have to go
back to the ancient past. Even in the 1920's and 1930's there was the same
argument over who should be showing what and should cultural treasures and
artifacts be preserved first when wars are fought. The british in the middle
east in the 1920's were fighting but were still careful not to destroy
anything which was seen as a cultural icon or special site. They did bomb
someof them but you can see that the wish for culture to be exempt somehow
from wars effects and for the warroiros to protect this material as a
priority is an old idea.

I don't know how we would solve it but let us at least learn form even the
recent past and say that museums are for everyone, they msut preserve the
history of all peoples to the bestof their resources and that museum
hisotrians and other museums workers must preserve this work so that others
in the near or far future will have the opportunity to learn form real
material not copies destroyed in a given conflict. I think we should speak
up for preservation of all material whether we support a particular pintof
view or not.

just my two bits,

PLease feel free to ask for clarification if I have not been clear enough
for you.

Derek Monz.
PhD Candidate Austrlain Studies (museum history).