From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 17:14:49 -0500
This is such a basic registrarial question, I hardly know where to begin.
If your auditor is asking this for insurance purposes, see below. If not,
then contact AAM for their statement regarding establishing values for
museum collections and how that is a different animal from valuing capital
assets.

First: This is a topic that is discussed with depressing regularity on the
listserv of the Registrars Committee of the American Association of
Museums. The very short answer is that neither of you should have to
provide a schedule of values in order to obtain appropriate insurance for
your collections. Frankly, as you have both discovered, it can be an
impressively expensive and overwhelming task--especially for a general
history museum with more flat irons than Van Goghs.

Second: Neither of your insurers understands the nature of a museum
collection. It is standard practice among most museums to provide an
insurer with a statement of "maximum probable loss."  This figure is the
result of a thoughtful analysis of what is stored where in your facility
and what might be lost in the event of a single tragedy. It does NOT come
from a complete aprasial of an entire collection. It may result from the
apprasial of a handful of very valuable items.

Third: Scheduled policies only pay for things listed in the schedule, if
you damage a recently acquired item that isn't yet listed--too bad.

Fourth: A very thoughtful discussion of the entire topic of museum
insurance appears in "The New Museum Registration Methods" edited by
Rebecca Buck and Jean Gilmore and available from the AAM bookstore (or
online). The chapter outlines in great detail the above concept and
discusses how to request bids for insurance from a variety of vendors.

On a personal note, several years ago I rebid my previous museum's
insurance. We went from a scheduled policy with a local agent who thought
he got us a 'great deal' to a museum policy with an insurer who specializes
in the museum industry. I got better coverage for higher limits at a much
cheaper rate. It pays to shop around when your policy is up for renewal.

Diane (Still a registrar at heart) Gutenkauf