From:
"Siegel, Betty" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:33:56 -0500
It  will not be helpful to go to the Access Board for this information. ADAAG does not provide information or technical requirements on labels and brochures.  It only provides information on technical requirements for permanent signage.

There are several resources for producing accessible, usable and readable labels and brochures. The following are the best resources:
Labeling and Exhibit Design

"Everyone's Welcome: The Americans with Disabilities Act and Museums" and "Standards Manual for Signs and Labels"
American Association of Museums
1575 Eye Street, NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20005
(202) 289-9127 bookstore
www.aam-us.org

"Smithsonian Guidelines for Accessible Exhibition Design"
Smithsonian Accessibility Program
Arts and Industries Building
Room 1239 MRC 426
Washington, DC 20560
(202) 786-2942 voice
http://www.si.edu/opa/accessibility/exdesign/start.htm

Some other resources for text legibility are:

The National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS)
Library of Congress
1291 Taylor Street, NW
Washington, DC 20542
 (800) 424-8567 voice
www.lcweb.loc.gov/nls/

"Making Text Legible: Designing for People with Partial Sight" and "Effective Color Contrast: Designing for People with Partial Sight and Color Deficiencies"
(These two brochures are EXCELLENT for giving to brochure designers.)
Lighthouse International
Arlene R. Gordon Research Institute
111 East 59th Street
New York, NY 10022-1202
 (800) 829-0500 voice
www.lighthouse.org

Betty Siegel
Manager of Accessibility
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts