From:
Eugene Dillenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:43:08 -0400
In my capacity as Membership Chair for NAME, I received the following
information.  I did a quick search on the archives to make sure it hasn't
already been posted.  If I am duplicating someone else, I apologize.

-- Eugene Dillenburg

THE AAM CULTURAL HERITAGE GROUP STATEMENT:

On April 16, a group of 16 national organizations broadly representing the
U.S. cultural heritage community met at the headquarters of the American
Association of Museums in Washington, DC, to begin to share information and
coordinate efforts regarding the Iraqi cultural heritage crisis.

Before considering future plans or action, the group stressed the absolute
importance of establishing contact with Iraqi museum, library, archive, and
heritage professionals on the ground in Iraq and obtaining from them a list
of their most pressing needs. This, the group agreed, is the first priority.

The group reached consensus on the need to:
· Communicate with cultural heritage professionals in Iraq to obtain
a list of needs and priorities
· Call for the immediate protection of cultural resources and assets
located in Iraq
· Call for the inclusion of cultural heritage needs in the U.S.
Agency for International Development’s list of reconstruction activities
for Iraq (see http://www.usaid.gov/iraq/activities.html)
· Identify private, business, and government funding to support the
cultural heritage reconstruction work in Iraq.

The group agreed to work toward achieving the actions outlined above, to
share further information as it becomes available, and to collaborate on
future planning.

Organizations represented were (in alphabetical order):
American Association of Museums
American Historical Association
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works
American Library Association
College Art Association
Council of American Overseas Research Centers
Council on Library and Information Resources
The Getty Conservation Institute
Heritage Preservation
International Council of Archives
International Foundation for Art Research
National Coalition for History
National Humanities Alliance
Smithsonian Institution
Society for Historical Archaeology
US Committee, International Council on Monuments and Sites