From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:39:21 -0400
Dear Mr. Martinson,

While your response to my post is fervent and, I believe, motivated by a
desire to view things as positively as possible in a situation that few
would argue is wonderful, there is little factual material to it. Most
importantly, your arguments stem from an intellectual/rational Western
viewpoint and not from a point-of-view based on culturally determined
emotional perceptions that will determine how America will be judged by the
Iraqis, other Arabs, and many who have an axe to grind with American
policies and behavior.

You are correct in that this has been a technologically superior invasion
that had as one of its goals minimizing the damage to civilians and
infrastructure. It is precisely because of an attempt to minimize bombing
damage to non-military targets that a wide database of buildings and their
function is readily available to US military.  There was no need to search
thousands of buildings to know where the National Museum, the National
Library and hospitals were. Had America's military wanted to, it could have
protected those sites-they knew where they are. All it would have taken is a
few tanks or HumVees with machine guns (the 3rd Infantry has over 20,000
vehicles, so there was no shortage) at each of the dozen sites. In fact,
reports are that the US military was a few hundred yards away from the
National Museum during the 48 hours it took to loot 50,000 objects from the
Museum (NY Times).

You appear to be factually incorrect in stating that looting occurred before
the arrival of soldiers. According to all reports I am aware of, the looting
began a day or two after American and Brits took over their respective
cities. And, it continued for a few days while these soldiers watched it
being conducted. In some instances, it appears to have been an organized
affair conducted by our allies, the Kurds.

Looting after the fall of city is a normal and predictable event in any war.
Usually it is the invading forces that conduct it, this time we allowed the
Iraqi "homeboys" to do it. Whoever does it, however, allowing looting to
take place is a violation of the 1949 Geneva Convention to which the US is a
signatory. One also does not need total control of a city to prevent
looting. Normally a 24-hour curfew is declared before entering an enemy city
(note Israeli tactics in that regard) and then anyone who is seen to be on
the streets can be legitimately shot on sight.

You make a point that you are a veteran, so am I. In fact, I was a combat
medic and therefore am highly aware of medical needs of soldiers and
civilians in a combat situation. I also was involved in an earlier operation
in the Middle East in which American forces deliberately handed over wounded
soldiers to their enemies to be executed. This is why I am not as forgiving
as you of the individual actions of US troops. There is currently some naïve
mantra of "supporting our troops." While I regret that our young people are
being shot and killed, I also remember that they consciously chose a
profession whose sole goal is killing other people. They need or prayers and
forgiveness.

In your post you blame the looting on the perpetrators, the museum staff, on
Iraq, and the UN. None of these entities destroyed the civil society that
existed before the invasion (however imperfect that society was). The
looters are undoubtedly scum, but they are no different from the folks who
looted and burned during the Rodney King LA riots (and previous riots). When
civil society is destroyed through war or riot such folks will appear.
Museum staffers are not equipped or trained to deal with armed mobs and
organized gangs of thugs. From newspaper accounts it appears that they did
all they could while US armed troops just watched this desecration of Iraqi
culture. Blaming a county for not preventing acts of civil disorder after
the country is destroyed (though not completely pacified) is as sensible and
compassionate as blaming the rape victim for being raped.

You may recall that the UN as a body opposed the war and therefore made few
preparations for its onset. Furthermore, it is a membership organization,
and as such, it does only those things that members direct it to do. Most UN
members saw no need for this invasion and did not authorize creation of a
police force to follow the invading troops. It is also questionable if the
US forces would have allowed UN personnel to come into Iraq at this stage.

I find it interesting that you are compelled to defend the status-quo
(looting of Iraqi national treasures) ascribing fault to everyone except the
one power that could have actually prevented it within the context of the
situation. Furthermore, you express the opinion that because we promise a
different political structure the US-permitted desecration of Iraqi culture
will be forgiven us.

You obviously, have not been following the history of our relations with
Germany. The invasion and occupation of Germany after WW II has often been
cited as an American military and political success; and rightly so. But,
now that Germany is united, the perceived threat from the East eliminated,
its economy one of the strongest in the world, and as it sees American power
becoming more dominant and aggressive, the resentments of atrocities
committed by US forces during WWII are becoming part of the national
conversation. When I served there in the military that resentment was
expressed on the popular level, late at night, after a few drinks. Today it
is in the public eye. Are you aware of the most recent book by Guenter
Grass, dealing with the firebombing of the undefended/civilian city of
Dresden?

My point? It is precisely if we succeed in helping Iraq develop its economy
to its fullest potential, and if we succeed in helping them develop a more
just civil society, that resentments of the permitted looting of the
National Museum will become most strident. Today the question of survival is
paramount, but in a (hopefully) brighter tomorrow the question of permitted
cultural desecration will become legitimately and demagogically significant.
By poor planning, if not deliberate intent, our Armed Forces have set a
serious "worm of discontent" into the "apple" of Arab cultural politics. By
the time that "worm" eats much of the apple our current administration will
only be a memory. I can only hope that allowing the looting of the Iraqi
Museum will not force further death and destruction for my children and
grandchildren and those of currently living Iraqis.

I think that death of innocent humans on all sides, destruction of cultural
artifacts, seeds of future resentment and possible political unrest are a
high price to pay to "kick some butt" as you so colorfully express.
Especially since the Iraqi people have never done anything to America.

N. Burlakoff