From:
Betty Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 21:02:25 -0600
Merri Pemberton wrote:
>I wondered, if Sadaam's regime falls, would it be possible for members
of America's archaeology and museum community to assist Iraqi's members
in the same >professions with whatever they need to mend the damages
done to their museums, artifacts, and historical structures.

I have been watching many different news channels -- the standard ones
plus CNN International (only available during the weekend),
International News out of Canada, and LINK (origination unknown, but
much more international than our domestic stations). On one of those,
just within the last couple of weeks, I saw a discussion about the
debate that is currently going on -- the best way to either restore or
preserve what's left of the great statue that was blown up there by the
Taliban.

The news report showed the orgininal film of the carving in the side of
the mountain and then the explosion destroying it. The news report said
someone (historians? archaeologists?) are trying to decide the best way
to proceed there. Surely the same efforts will be made in Iraq.

Betty
Historian, Terry County Historical Commission