From:
George Garner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:00:21 -0500
My old Museums Studies prof. told my class that the field is approximately
80% female. This statistic breaks down when you consider only Museum
Directors, who are currently disproportionately male. (If anyone out there
knows where she got these stats I would be interested to see the original
study and read more about it).

This is a significant problem at my old Museum Studies alma matter where,
out of fifteen students, I was one of two men. The current crop has only one
(out of about fifteen or sixteen). They have had a real problem recruiting
male students.

My guess - and this is pure speculation: Art museums make up a significant
part of the differences. In my experience (and only my experience) men
generally do not consider art - let alone art museums - a "masculine" thing.
In more traditionally masculine subjects (e.g. war museums) I usually see
more male staff then female. This is, of course, a gross generalization, and
I hate to imply that men are solely into war and women into art. (Darn war
mongering men!) However, the subject matters do have a disproportionate
amount of men and women falling toward either side.

Best,
George Garner

National Speedskating Museum and Hall of Fame
George Garner, Director and Curator
P.O. Box 3120, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
(518) 587-2609