From:
Carol Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 08:33:19 -0400
Hi Mike,

You might try getting hold of a copy of the "Canadian Parks Service
Classification System for Historical Collection", put out by Parks Canada in
1992, you can try getting it through one of the local book stores or by
going to the Canada Communication Group on (I think Queen Street and Lyon)
here in Ottawa. It has a classification system for collections, definitions
and a thesaurus to help ensure that your whatchamacallits are in the right
category and classification.

It is now being used by Parks Canada for their collections, and is being
implemented at the Canadian Museum of Civilization and the Canadian War
Museum. It is a very clear and logical classification system. And seeing
that you too are in Ottawa - it comes in french as well, so if you have to
have a bilingual database, just make sure you pick up both the french and
the english versions of the book.

Plus too there is the Canadian Heritiage Information Network (CHIN)
http://www.chin.gc.ca/English/index.html which offers a variety of thesauri,
vocabulary and classification standards.

Between Parks and CHIN you should be able to find something to suite your
needs.

Good luck,

Carol Reid
Ottawa, Canada