From:
Textiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:31:38 -0400
Hi Molly,

As a somewhat recent graduate (2001), I went through a similar search not to
long ago.  Wanting to work with textiles in a museum setting left me
wondering if a design/ costume history degree would serve me better than a
museum studies degree.  I looked at FIT, but found that while they offer
costume history and handling, they lacked courses on interpretation,  and
exhibition development. In the end I found that a strong background in
practical museum skills along with self education through piles of textile
books served me better.  I chose to attend the Cooperstown Program in
upstate NY.  I was able to tailor my projects and coursework to my
specialized interest even though the program is generalized.  Depending on
what you ultimate goal is, this may be an option to consider.

Please feel free to contact me off-list at [log in to unmask]

Kristie Rhoback
Textile Curator
Amherst Museum