Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:08:03 -0400
Hi,

I'd like to know if anyone has tried this before, and their experiences.
We - a group of 6 museums in different towns within a 45- mile radius -
are planning a future exhibit about the Finger Lakes region of New York
State.  Rather than produce one traveling exhibit that the unlucky last
museum would get in 2010, we want to do concurrent exhibits.  All the
museums will have the same set of core panels, introducing the concept
and giving an overview, then each museum will present a different facet
of the region.  So Town Museum X isn't just talking about Town X, but
the other five towns (and the region) that are in the project.  Visitors
will get the idea of the exhibit if they only go to one museum, but we
want them to visit at least several of the 6 to get the full impact.
(This is a tourist region, and the exhibit is about tourism, so one of
our target audiences is people who are on the road anyway.)

The question is: has anyone promoted this type of exhibit before?  We
have the marketing director of the regional tourism association
involved, and she's very excited about it.  She has a lot of feasible
ideas, but I'd like to hear from museum folk about this (and any other
issues that arose).

Thanks,

John Marks
Geneva (NY) Historical Society