From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:42:29 -0400
Tubes can also be covered carefully with aluminum foil or marvel seal
(closed with heat) then a layer of muslin. make sure the layer of muslin or
acid free tissue is throughout the rolled textile and that there are no
wrinkles or folds when rolling (you may need a very big table). strips of
velcro or muslin can be used to hold the roll but be careful not to pull
them to tight. That creates bunching and stress to the textile. There are
many sources that can give instructions in rolling. Check the smithsonian
website and other conservation websites for tips and instructions or ask
the conservator when you have them. Some textiles including quilts or
highly embellished pieces are better stored flat with padded folds if folds
are necessary. when there are multiple layers (ie quilts) one layer will
bunch while another stretches.

Elizabeth Walton
www.clotheslinejournal.com

At 10:45 AM 7/31/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I have a couple conservation questions for the list, I hope you may be able
>to help me out.
>
>Does anyone know of a good conservator in the midwest that can do both
>textiles and ethnographic materials.  I have a few Native American artifacts
>in the collection that need some help.
>
>Also, I am currently working on re-housing portions of our museums textile
>collection.  I would like to do rolled storage for certain items.  I have a
>large supply of brown cardboard hollow tubes.  I know they are very acidic
>but if I cover them in a mylar and then a layer of muslin would that help?
>Just curious.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help,
>Laura L. Hortz
>Curator of Collections